Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Forget Arts Advocacy

Today was discussion meeting with our superintendent. I was prepared with collated data, legislative statements, and other research in favor of preserving K-3 art and music. It was horrible and he wanted nothing to do with arts advocacy. I remained amiable, calm, and unemotional...UNTIL he interrupted one of my questions (his third such interruption, one of which spouted, "I don't care about your research and data. We don't have the money.") with these words, "There you go getting all hung up on doing what's right for the kids!" His mantra for the past 2 months (and he's got the school board saying it now) is "Let's make something very clear here. We are not doing what is in the best interest of the children. These are business decisions." I'm sorry, but since when do educators publicize that they are NOT looking out for what's best for the students they serve? A good friend joked that the statement might just be a good corporation letterhead! Bottom line: even though the board vote isn't until March 21st, our school leaders have already made the decision to shorten the school day, cut out K-3 music and art, and foolishly assume classroom teachers will adequately meet national arts standards during this shortened day. As I write this the elementary principals are in the process of recommending how many arts teachers they can do without. Folks, we are shooting ourselves in the foot. Our children will suffer. The ineptitude at the federal and state level have officially trickled down and we are being asked to forget about what's best for our childrens' education. I, for one, am disgusted...and I will continue to give my students the very best music education I can give as a highly qualified arts educator. When the proverbial poo hits the fan in this town, let it be known that I stood up for for my children, as well as the other 400 I enable through music.

1 comment:

Crazy Walton Crew said...

I can't believe they would actually say they aren't looking out for the best interest of the children...so sad :(